24th Street became a Domestic Nonprofit Corporation in the State of Georgia on April 25, 2018.
The name, 24th Street, was chosen to honor the first A.A. clubhouse, which was located at 334 1/2 West 24th Street in Manhattan.
Lois Wilson wrote in her diary about the first clubhouse on June 11, 1940 saying,
“It used to be a stable, so is set back from the street and entered through a covered passage with a doorway on the street. It used to be the Illustrators Club, so is very attractive. One large room, with fireplace and paneled in knotty pine, and kitchen downstairs. Upstairs there is a large room with skylights and two small bedrooms and two toilets. The rent is $75 a month and with gas and light and extras will probably come to $100.”
(from “Pass It On”, pp. 238-239)
The 24th Street Clubhouse in Manhattan became Bill and Lois’ first steady home in years on November 4, 1940. They remained there for the next five months before moving to what is now known as Stepping Stones. A.A. meetings were held regularly downstairs for years.
Our Board decided that 24th Street was the perfect name for our Clubhouse in Athens, GA, since our goal is to provide a stable, safe environment for Alcoholics Anonymous and Al-Anon members and groups.
A Lease Agreement was signed on May 22, 2018 for a portion of the building at 150 Collins Industrial Boulevard in Athens, GA and the Club opened September 1, 2018.
We currently have six A.A. Groups and one Al Anon Group holding regular meetings at our facility. We look forward to many more Groups joining us as we grow in numbers and Fellowship.